So here we go...There are many changes to be made to this page. Let's call it work in progress shall we? But at least we're up and running. So excited!



Monday 28 June 2010

Need...More...Water!

It's official...I am MELTING!
I hate to say it, but I'm one of those typical people who moans regardless of what the weather is like. Too hot, too cold, to wet, too dry.  Only now, I'm not just thinking of myself, oh no no no.  I'm thinking of my little green friends.  As you know all too well by now, I am learning from scratch about how to care for my plants.  Luckily I have Wendy over the fence.  At the weekend she had a little peek at my beds and told me I should really give them more water.  She advised me to water them first thing in the morning and last thing at night, certainly while the weather continues to be so warm, (I should imagine it'll only last a few more days, knowing the good old British summer time!) I'm just hoping it's not too late for my mange tout.  They were starting to look a little pathetic to say the least. They've bucked up a little bit now, so I'm hoping that a bit of TLC will sort them out nicely.

Ooh! Something to share with you.  Our rocket salad is properly on a roll.  It simply will not stop growing. Not just that, but I seriously can't believe the difference between home grown salad leaves and shop bought. It's so crisp and fresh, as opposed to soggy, mulchy leaves out of a plastic bag! I've told the other half that we're going to have rocket with everything from now on. Not sure if it goes with fish n chips...but we'll soon see!
Check out my little salad. I've never been so proud!

Just before the weekend, I received an email from an old friend of mine called Kelly. She has a little girl called Kara and wanted to share her story with everyone. She too is new to growing her own but thought she'd give it a go. The thing is, if you don't even attempt these things, you'll never know if you can be successful.  It really isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out. You just learn from your mistakes and try again.
Anyway, here is...

KELLY'S STORY...
We initially started planting in April, bought a few seed packets from the garden centre-just a couple of tomato plants, sweetcorn (which we were very surprised to see was just a dried up piece of sweetcorn!) , a tiny pepper plant and an even smaller chili pepper plant- oh and the token Sunflower seeds (never successfully grown one bigger that about 3 inches!)

Kara got really into it too- she usually just goes on the trampoline when I am gardening, but getting her involved was great.

Since seeing your blog I got super keen. We transferred the successful tomato plants to bigger pots, the chili and the pepper plant actually needed support from a bamboo-yey! The cucumber plant is looking healthy- though I have never ever seen a cucumber grow?? Cant imagine growing an actual cucumber?!

I went to the garden centre and perhaps cheated a bit because I bought some 'clearance' lettuce, green bean and cabbage plants....hoping to nurture them and bring them back to life!
Kara has done a trial of her own......several cherry stones in the compost...she only planted them yesterday but it would be superb if it worked!!
In all, Cucumber, Pepper, Chili Pepper, Tomato, Cabbage, Lettuce, Green Beans and a stab at a cherry tree
Am going to try potatoes next x




Thank you so much Kelly x

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    you should make rocket pesto, is delicious, just make in the same way but using rocket instead of basil. Feel like all I am doing is watering at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad looks good!!

    We're in the middle of doing our garden up. At the moment we haven't done much, just trying to secure the garden for the doggies. Once that's done we'll start on the flowers and veg. Haven't quite decided on which flowers or veg to plant but I don't see us doing anything this year as we've pretty much missed the season already!

    Goodluck with the gardening and here's hoping your little green friends feel better soon! (It's raining here now so here's hoping!)

    ReplyDelete