So here we go...There are many changes to be made to this page. Let's call it work in progress shall we? But at least we're up and running. So excited!



Friday 18 June 2010

Big Pots, Little Pots, Cardboard Box...

As you all know, I'm very new to this whole veggie gardening malarkey. I think the main thing that held me back all these years, is the fact that I found the whole process so daunting. I mean, where on earth do you start? I didn't even own a trowel! Also, before we moved out to our current home I always assumed that we just didn't have the space either.  Surely, if you're going to grow anything you need acres of land, room for a pony and a sit on mower? WRONG!

Turns out you can grow a ton of different stuff even if you only have room for a plant pot.  This is exactly where I decided to start.  


I mentioned before that Nicole was given a little tomato plant.  Well, we now have another five tommy plants, alongside blueberries, gooseberries, chili plants and peppers...all growing beautifully in simple little plant pots. I would recommend that anybody interested in growing their own, start this way. They're easy to care for and you can get as creative as you like with them.


There are some gorgeous plant pots out there too, and I'm a bit of a sucker for all things girly and pretty. Nicole helped me pick these ones out from Homebase. The small ones only cost £1.99 and are perfect for growing chili plants. The way I see it, if they are going to live in my house, I want them to look nice.


Planting in pots is also the perfect way to get kids involved. Give them their own plant pot, trowel and a whole heap of soil, and they are as happy as a pig in the proverbial. The chili plants are officially Nicole's, (I know this because she told me!) She filled them with compost, dug out a little hole and planted the seedling.  Seriously people, she's two! If she can do it then surely anybody can!


On the subject of my little bear, you wouldn't believe how much she's taken to mummy's new-found hobby. Granted, she has a tendency to get bored after ten minutes and wonders off to watch Mickey Mouse for a while, but she soon runs back, water pistol in hand, ready to help me water everything. She asked me the other day if we can dig a whole and plant her Peppa Pig so that we can have a pig tree in our garden! Nice idea little bear...maybe that can be our next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment